The ELSCO process is what makes the difference between a transformer that lasts you 30 plus years, and one that fails in 2 years.
1. We Select the Right Transformer System
Choosing the right transformer for you is not just about the specs. Low quality is the number one reason transformers fail, which costs you money, especially if it’s an unplanned failure.
- What type of transformer will best suit your needs?
- How much money can the right transformer save you each year?
- How well will it fit into your existing space?
- How often do you really want to be replacing your transformer if you don’t have to?
2. We Use the Best Materials
ELSCO uses the best possible materials for all their hand-built transformers.
- We use copper for both our high and low voltage windings because it’s a better conductor than aluminum, is better for short circuit strength, and is more durable over time.
- ELSCO only stocks one temperature class of insulation, which is the highest at 200 degrees Celsius.
- We use DuPont Nomex insulation throughout the transformer coil.
- We use SG 200 fiberglass solid insulation for our molds and barriers, instead of a flexible insulation.
Five Important Factors in Building a High-Quality Transformer
3. We Build Your Transformer by Hand
Our transformers are built by hand to ensure the best quality. Automated manufacturing can contribute to the number one reason for an unplanned failure: poor build quality. Automated construction allows for manufacturing mistakes that jeopardize the efficiency and longevity of your transformer system. Because we don’t rely on automated manufacturing processes, we are in complete control of how each unit is made.
While hand-building your transformer, we make sure that:
- the transformer coils are uniformly tight and well-wound.
- windings and stack assembly are continually hand-checked.
- required clearances are maintained to facilitate cooling.
- every step of the process is inspected by an experienced technician.
- material waste is minimized by using only the necessary amount of material.
This hand-crafted process produces a transformer with quality materials and construction that will run cooler, quieter, and longer than transformers produced by automation.
We are so confident of our quality assurance that we offer a five-year warranty on our new dry type transformers. The industry norm is one year.
4. We test it at every stage, five times
- We test it after winding the low voltage.
- We test it again after winding the high voltage.
- We test it again after the core is stacked.
- We test the fully assembled unit after we mig weld the bus bars.
We varnish the entire unit before it goes into its 7-9 day bake cycle to make certain the varnish is completely cured with no moisture.
- We test it one final time to reveal its power factor rating.
ELSCO transformers test consistently around 0.3%. Most other transformers rate closer to 1%, even though industry requirements mandate that they must rate at or below 1%.
5. You Install Your Transformer
If your installation is urgent we can provide Quick-Ship within 24-48 hours of receiving your order.
ELSCO’s commitment does not end there. We provide installation guidance on all our transformers, in the form of a “plug-and-play” protocol for your site that enables a quick and seamless installation, usually within 4 hours.
Before it is shipped, we make sure your ELSCO transformer will fit in your existing space or enclosure, and will line up with your existing electrical connections, requiring no custom workaround.
Our quality build and anti-vibration pads will ensure that your transformer will have minimal vibration and noise while running.
Our business transaction is not complete until your transformer is installed and operating correctly and you are completely satisfied.
Building a Transformer Resources from ELSCO Transformers
- 2019 Case Study: Build Quality Ensures Reliability
- 5 Ways ELSCO’s Build Process Sets Us Apart
- ELSCO Maintains Quality Facing Nomex Price Increase
- Your ELSCO Transformer is an Investment in Quality
- How a High-Quality Transformer Saves Your Money in the Long Run