Elsco Transformer Options
What’s the difference between the different transformer types?
Whether you need advanced design and high performance built to spec or a cost-efficient solution for multiple applications, ELSCO is a leading provider of transformers for every commercial or industrial need. We carry two types of power transformers for you to consider.
Benefits of Dry Type Transformers
- Advanced Design: 100% Copper-wound, round coil, disc wound, slotted comb with sheet wound secondary, step lap mitered core with lower flux density.
- High Efficiency Performance: Exceeds Energy Star and DOE energy efficiency standards , and meets the latest NEMA, ANSI and IEEE standards.
- Cost Effective: Reduces utility and maintenance costs due to increased energy efficiency and superior design.
- Quiet Operation: The combined effect of our precision hand-wound coils, completely varnishing the whole unit, and the step lap mitered core with lower flux density ensures minimal noise and vibration once installed.
- Extended Life: Superior quality materials, superior design and expert craftsmanship deliver long-standing performance.
Benefits of Padmount Transformers
- Proven: Provide safe, reliable power output in public space.
- Cost-Efficient: Lower costs for installation upfront and promote increased savings.
- Flexibility: New, reconditioned, or custom-built options are available for every application.
- Customizable: From one to 1000 units, we build to spec for commercial & industrial use.
Choosing Between a Dry Type Transformer and a Padmount Transformer
If the space where your transformer will be installed has one or more of the following conditions:
- Overhead or side connections
- Moderate temperature & humidity
- Clean ambient air due to air cooling
- Restricted access or separate room
- Quiet Operation
- Part of a line-up
Choose a Dry Type Design
New Dry Types from ELSCO have a 5-year warranty when installed indoors in a clean and dry environment.
- Underground connections
- All weather conditions
- Sealed tank construction due to air quality issues or temperature fluctuations
- Public space with foot traffic
- Stand alone
Choose a Padmount Design
New Padmount Transformers from ELSCO have a 1-year warranty
If you are not sure which type of transformer is best for your application, we can help. Call ELSCO to talk with one of our transformer engineers.
- Typically, dry types go indoors due to the high flashpoint, non-flammable Nomex insulation.
- Dry types can also be installed outdoors in a specially designed outdoor enclosure to keep any blowing rain/wind/snow out of the enclosure. Our chief engineer always says a dry type transformer installed outdoors is only as good as the enclosure it’s in.
- Can be either round coil or rectangular coil – round coil is a better design for cooling and short circuit strength.
- Can be either disc or layer wound – disc wound is better for cooling. (Disc wound is typically used on the larger kVA or MVA oil filled units – we utilize the same design on our dry types.)
- Degree C rise can be either 80 degree C, 115 degree C, or 150 degree C rise. 80 degree C runs the coolest and lasts the longest because insulation breakdown is what shortens the life span of a transformer, which is almost always caused by heat either thru overloading or harmonics.
- Standard dry type warranty is one year – ours is an industry best 5 years for indoor use in a clean and dry environment.
- Dry type transformers are typically part of a line up with HV gear on one side and LV breakers on the other.
- ELSCO can do custom bus work for direct plug and play retrofit.
- Green color.
- Lockable doors up front.
- Cable in from underneath the front compartment.
- HV & LV bushings both on the front side of the tank behind the lockable doors and separated by a steel HV-LV barrier.
- Tamperproof and stand-alone (not part of a line-up).
- Outdoors applications. You will see them behind restaurants or malls or universities (anywhere there are people milling about).